El Celler de Can Roca ***, Girona, Spain
El Celler de Can Roca ***
Can Roca story started in Taiala, in 1986, when the establishment was managed by brothers parents. It was their playground with its pots and pans.
Today Celler de Can Roca is run by the three Roca brothers: eldest brother Joan Roca is head chef, Josep Roca is sommelier and Jordi Roca is the patissier.
As you step in to this beautiful building you feel being close to nature. Its a big triangle that has a a smaller triangle for trees inside of it. Because it was december the leaves had fallen on the ground and just for a moment i thought how fun it would be to play there.
MICHELIN Guide 2017 - 3 stars
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2016 - 2nd
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2015 - 1st
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2014 - 2nd
- Red mullet with kombu - Prickly pear foam, sea anemone, salicornia and Katsuobushi vinegar
- Flower of onion with comte cheese - With walnuts, walnut bread and curry-caramelised walnut
- Oyster fennel sauce, black garlic, apple, seaweed, mushrooms, distilled earth and sea anemone
- Langoustine with cocoa bean sauce - Black mole with chocolate and mantis shrimp cream with coconut and boletus edulis
- Mackerel with tempeh of „ganxet“ beans
- Prawn marinated with rice vinegar - Prawn’s head sauce, crispy prawn legs, seaweed veloute and phytoplankton
- Red skate confit with juice of charcoal-grilled pepper and rhubarb
- Blackspot seabream with „samfaina“ blackspot seabream-bone juice
- Iberian suckling pig with salad of green papaya, thai grapefruit, apple, coriander, chilli pepper, lime and cashew
- Lamb with eggplant and chicpea puree, lamb’s trotters and spicy tomato
- Squab civet and its parfait
- Rainy forest sand distillate water, carob cookie, fir tree dust, ice crean of anise, wormwood, fennel and fir tree and fir tree granite
- Orange colourology
- Cuban cigar box - Chocolate with milk, vanilla, dried plum, tobacco leave and cocoa
How do you feel when something covered is brought to your table? Excited? Definitely excited, especially when it takes you to a trip to around the world. There was something sweet, sour, soft, crunchy, warm, cold. Exciting.
It couldn't have been easy to grow up in a family of three boys. But i can bet, it was a lot of fun also. They all seem to be very different and yet they have similarities. And it's on our plate and glass.
The next dish, something very delicate and rich of flavours from the sea.
I must say i'm starting to love olives. But only the best ones with natural serving.
The black truffle is most certainly our favourite. It has strong aroma and velvety texture. These small bites were delightful.
When your plate is that simple, you expect nothing less than perfection. And it is perfect.
When i saw the cocoa bean i expected chocolate. Instead there was very tender langoustine and a delicate cocoa flavour in the sauce.
One of my favourite serving of dinner. The duck on my plate and its journey to my plate or getaway. Again - perfect.
With this nose you can have some fun. But don't forget to eat (lick) it. Who would have thought that i'll eat a persons nose. And a very pink one that tastes and smells like rosehip.
Have you tasted Earth? Probably you don't remember or haven't done it, but if you live in a place were winters have snow and get really cold, then you probably have. As a kid. Remember those hanging icicles? You got thirsty when playing outside and didn't want to go home yet, and crab one? That's how tasted our first dessert but much better.
Easter egg? Not. It's contemporary orange, and you can crack it to find more surprises. Why the spoon is so wavy, because it's designed by a child.
Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. There's nothing more to say. I ate it all. Does it mean i like cuban cigars also?
Dining experience in El Celler de Can Roca is extraordinary. Creativity, harmony is found on every single dish. Service is friendly and attentive.
You love your time with these boys creation.