Sant Pau by Carme Ruscalleda ***, Sant Pol de Mar, Spain
In summer we were so close to Andorra and yet so far. This time we decided to visit this little country and send a postcard. From Andorra you can choose whether you prefer french or spanish postal service. Be sure to check operating hours, they have short working days and long queues. French post office was closed although the sign on the door suggested otherwise, and in spanish post office was a long queue, where we waited over 45 minutes to buy stamps. In France we have used the automated system, so easy and quick.
Andorra is skiing and hiking country, and shopping when you're not busy outdoors. There's not much street parking in the middle of la Vella, but there's plenty of parking houses. And in one of them was this Bond? inspired Christmas decoration.
My wish was to visit Naturlandia and more specifically Tobotronc. The 5.3 km long ride with speed, emotions, screaming, nature. And waiting until it's up. It was fast but you can regulate the speed with breaks. When you visit Naturlandia in winter time, have some warm clothes, hat and gloves, it gets windy when the speed is up.
Cows near Andorra are grey, almost light blue.
In Naturlandia there's a lot to do, even ride with horse or pony surrounded beautiful nature.
Sant Pau by Carme Ruscalleda ***
Michelin Guide to Spain & Portugal 2017 - 3 stars (since 2006)
Our destination for dinner. Streets are narrow but the feeling is sweet and homely. Except here's warm.
Two dining rooms are in bold colours and tables are placed sparsely, you'll have enough privacy and it doesn't feel crowded. The team of more than 30 people make their 35 guest feel welcomed and expected.
- BALEARIC FIGURATIVE, Tomatoes, sobrasada, bread, oil, parsley
- CATALAN ABSTRAC, onion, strawberry and piquillo, aubergine caviar, tupi
- BELGIAN MAGIC REALISM, Apple, foie mi-cuit, meringue
- DUTCH NEOPLASTISM, Cod brandada, olives and almonds, peppers
- DUTCH POST-IMPRESSIONISM, King prawn tails, fresh pasta, saffron sauce
- RUSSIAN, JEWISH LEVITY, Borsch, yoghourt, black bread, dill, and Durco pork dewlap
- USA ABSTRACT EXPRESIONIS, Creamy soup, mushrooms, topinambur
- MYSTICAL MEXICAN REALISTC, Gamba, mole verde, leaves, and flowers
- NORTH AMERICAN POP ART, Sea bass and banana chutney
- MECHANICAL POETR, deer, turnip, carrot, persimmon, cocoa
- EMPORDANES SURREALISM, Creamy cheese with fine herbs, almonds
- POKU, Red fruits in a variety of textures
- LOCAL TERRARISTA, Menjar blanc, chestnuts, hazelnuts, thyme
- HORTA DE SANT JOAN, PARIS, CUBISM, black chocolates „Collage“
- Petit Fours Bestiari: THE LION (EIGHT PASTRY CREATIONS)
- Puff pastry, angel hair, pine nuts + Licorice and sherbet philo
- Coffee Cookie + Cardamom Cookie + Black chocolate and ground grue
- White chocolate with pink pepper + chocolate with milk, rasberries lyo
- Citric brick and chocolate badge
The menu starts with bold colours - red. You can ask from yourself - there's only tomatoes on the plate. Yes there are, and these are probably one of the sweetest and best ones you'll ever eat. It amazing what chefs accomplish in their kitchen kingdom.
In the middle of our dinner i noticed some movement outside. Kitchen needed some fresh herbs and from where they get them, from their own garden outside. This wasn't the only time i noticed them picking herbs.
It looks like apple burger, some sour, sweet, soft crunch in your mouth, and you feel happy. All your taste buds got a piece of this meal.
A night spent in art gallery. And you can eat it all.
It looks like sunflower made friends with pasta, prawns and delicate safran.
I can only wish we had this borsch here.
This banana chip was on top of it.
Sometimes the dish on plate looks so good that you'll have hard time to decide where to start or if you should start at all. And when you do, you'll know it was the only right decision. You wouldn't want to miss this party on your plate. Every component is at it's place and needed to complement the next one and lead you on....
... to dessert. And the name of this dish points to a children book in Estonia (sedge in english). When you google it you get the point :) These red fruits are made to look like a flower and i can guarantee, this Poku tastes way better.
Hmmm, local terrarista looks like a submarine on a purple cloud and it's stuck in tree branches. As you can imagine i rushed to help the marines and ate it all.
The spanish guitar... It's chocolate... Variation of black chocolates. This dinner turns to be very criminal. Can't wait to see what comes in the end :)
Would have not expected the Lion to take over our table. Thankfully there was an envelope. What to you do with an envelope? You brake the puzzle and take it home to enjoy it the next morning.
After a guided tour in food art we were feeling happy and pleased. The service was excellent, but a sweet touch of the night was Carme Ruscalleda's round in dining room.